Thursday, March 25, 2010

Thunderstorms, Politicians, Pinkie Fingers

It is 2:41 a.m. and I am wide awake. As I sit here and ponder the series of possible reasons that I find myself in this sleepless plunder of sensibility, I have come to realize that the little things.... are important.

I have never been known as one who has a hard time sleeping! I do rise early, and I do work hard every day, so it is generally pretty easy for me to go to sleep. On an average it takes me anywhere from 2 to 10 min. and I am gone! But tonight.... .here I sit. I have been wrestling with the sand man now for almost 3 hours! So what is it?!

I suppose it could be the massive thunderstorm that just blew through here. The rain came in torrents and the rolling thunder rattled the windows of our little parsonage here. My dog Jack has been restless, but he is a big sissy and has never liked thunderstorms.

Perhaps it is just anticipation of my lunch meeting with Louisiana Governor Bobby Jindal tomorrow. I am joining a handful of other pastors tomorrow for lunch at the governor's mansion then an open discussion time followed by prayer. I have always followed politics closely, and to meet one of the possible future stars of the Republican party is an honor. But even THAT.... is not the reason for my slumber less existence.

The reason is much smaller than that. The reason is the pinkie finger on my right hand. Now I have never been much of one to complain or to give much notice to pain. Generally, if I can glue it back on, or duck tape it up... I can live with it. But tonight is different. For some reason, my little finger has decided to become infected and swell up. I have laid in bed now for 3 hours with an increasing pain and throbbing. I finally could take it no more... so I found the first aid kit, a needle, and and box knife. I will spare you the details.... but I successfully stopped the throbbing.

But as I sit here overcoming the nausea of self-inflicted surgery, I begin to think about the passage of scripture found in 1 Corinthians 12..... where Paul is discussing unity in the body. In a humorous way, Paul asks the question... is any part of the body less important? In regard to my pinkie fingers.... I like having them... but I have never considered them to be "crucial" to my survival.

But what I realized here this morning, is that when any part of the body is in pain..... the entirety of the body is affected. All around us, there are parts of the "body of Christ" that are hurting... that are struggling through disease, and suffering, and pain, and sickness. God has spoken to my heart here this morning of the importance of taking care of our members.... regardless of how small, or insignificant, or unimportant, or difficult to deal with they may be! Because in the end.... they may be just a pinkie.... but if they are hurting..... they need the same tender loving care that is extended to more "important" parts of the body.

Now.... if you will excuse me.... I have some sheep to chase around my bed and in my head!

Love Honor and Service
Pastor Eugene

1 comment:

  1. I'm really enjoying reading your blogs. It has inspired me to begin writing in my journal again.
    Looking forward to your next entry.

    ReplyDelete