Sunday, March 28, 2010

Jack


Imagine if you would, waking up one day and saying to yourself, I think I will go out and purchase a 100lb, hair shedding, lawn chair destroying force of nature that systematically and without prejudice destroys everything of significant value that you own. If you are able to picture such a minion of nature, then let me introduce you to Jack. Jack is my two year old Yellow Lab.


Jack has been my faithful companion for the last 2 years, and we have enjoyed many days together at work and he is never short on enthusiasm when I ask him to get ready to go. In short, he loves going anywhere with me! As I write this, he is sitting at my feet, intently dismantling a Dr. Pepper bottle that he removed from the trash.


Yes, he LOVES the trash and the toilet. Between the many wondrous and mystical treasures he finds in our trash, and the cool, refreshing waters of the toilet, Jack has it made!


Not to diminish his masculinity too much, he makes his bed on a Pretty Pink Barbie Princess bed. I much prefer he ruin it as opposed to our couch! Some would say that Jack, is definitely this man's best friend. But I have to question the sanity of such a statement! I mean ... come on.... think about it..... who would put up with a friend such as this. Who would keep a friend that so carelessly disregards your possessions, or so selfishly demands his own way while waking up the whole house in the middle of the night because HE is afraid of the storm. Who would love the constant demands of a friend who never seems to get enough to eat.... always has to be reminded that the toilet seat is down to keep him OUT of the toilet... not to keep us off of it.


The truth is , many of us will extend 1 Corinthians 13 love to our pets.... while refusing to extend the same graces to our spouse, our children, our coworkers and our fellow church members. We will over and over allow our pets to destroy and demand, and devalue our lives.... and our possessions, and yet hold on to the most petty failures or mistakes of our fellow man.


Today, I have determined to be more like Jack. If you ignore me, I will still be glad to see you. If you walk all over me, I will still be faithfully waiting for you when you decide you want to spend time with me. While you run around to tend to your needs and ignore mine, I will be here, watching your back, guarding your home.... and defending your name.... for nothing more than an occasional pat on the head.... or scrap from your table.


In short... I want to become the man that my dog Jack thinks I am.


Love, honor and service

Pastor Eugene


2 comments:

  1. Great post Eugene! SO true! Thanx for sharing this with us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This made me cry..........

    ReplyDelete