Monday, June 27, 2011

I AM Number 1!

This past Sunday night I had the honor and privilege to be asked to speak to a Men's fellowship at a church in Marshall Texas. I took a few of my closest friends with me for the short 30 minute drive. Nothing like a little fellowship with Godly men!

Anyway, as we were driving on I-20 headed West, a white Toyota Corolla pulled up behind me and was determined to save gas by drafting me. Being the considerate driver that I am, I pulled into the next lane to allow him to pass. Apparently, unknown to me, pulling into the adjacent lane to allow someone to speed past you qualifies you for a special award. As the Toyota Corolla sped on past me, a white Ford Ranger whips out past me, and then darts in front of me so close that a seasoned Nascar driver would have flinched at the wheel! I turn to my traveling companions and they are as amazed as I was at the fact that he was so close to us that we could see the settings on his radio dial!

It was at this moment that I realized I was special. The Nascar wannabe driver in the Ford Ranger rolled down his window, stuck out his hand and began to signal very urgently that I was well... No 1! Now it is not the first time in my life that I have been awarded the "No. 1" waver, and I am sure it will not be the last! Over and over he waved that I was number one and even as he exited the interstate ahead of me, he was signaling my praises in his single finger salute!

Now any other man would have been inclined to want to return the honor of signaling that he too was a Number 1 driver but I refrained from exhibiting such behavior. I am sure it did not hurt that I was with fellow church members and as such felt the responsibility of setting a good example. We all laughed and continued on our journey to Marshall. What struck me the most was the overwhelming anger of my newest admirer.

Anger is a funny thing. I really do not believe that anyone wakes up with a goal to see how angry they can become today... or how many times can they blow up or throw a fit. Anger does not work like that. Instead, anger does not generally grow or increase because of careful planning or preparation. On the contrary, anger is one of those things that comes out of nowhere, totally ruining a day, a moment, a relationship, a life, a church, a family, or countless other things.

Anger. Rage. The fury of uncontrolled emotion exhibited in numerous situations every day and usually without any warning. Where does such emotion begin? It begins in the heart. Now you may find it hard to accept but the truth about anger is that is generally lies dormant in the base of a persons heart until just the right trigger is pulled then BAM! "Out of the abundance of the heart... the mouth speaks... the body exhibits... the destruction begins." Knowing that anger is a heart issues demands the best of "heart surgeons"... and that is Jesus! Jesus can change the very DNA of your heart! It does not matter if you were raised in an angry house, by angry parents! You can take on the nature of your heavenly father which is anything but angry!

" But the fruit of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, long suffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control against such there is no law!" Galatians 5:22 So the next time you find yourself receiving the "Number 1" award, remember that Christ is working in you a new way of living... and just smile and speak blessing!

Pastor Eugene
1 Peter 2:17

No comments:

Post a Comment