Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Overtime

It was Game 4 of the Western Conference Finals with Dallas leading the Oklahoma Thunder 2 games to 1. Game 4 was in Oklahoma City and Dallas fell behind immediately after the Thunder hits on their first 9 baskets! But despite the great shooting of Oklahoma and the numerous turnovers by the Mavericks, Dallas goes into the locker room at half time only down by 5 points.

The second half proves to be more of the same but Dallas eventually finds themselves outplayed and down by 15 points with only 5 minutes to play. Now I am not sure if it was the cummulative effect of an exceptionally hard day at work or the satisfying carbo load of fully loaded chili dogs or a combination of both, but I decided it was time to give up on Dallas! Down by 15! Go to sleep! It is hopeless!

Oh how many times in my life I have felt that way. Overwhelmed by the obvious obstacles in front of me or the enormous odds against me, I have wanted to give up and many times did. Hopelessness is a helpless feeling. Everything inside of you crying out for some kind of break, or change, or at least a glimmer of hope. You too may have been in that place of utter despair or worse yet, you may be faced with seemingly insurmountable odds even now. But let me remind you of this; with God as our source, we are never without hope! Paul reminds us in Romans that we may be pressed on every side, but we are not crushed, struck down but not destroyed! There is hope!

Yes, I gave up on any chance of Dallas winning and I went to bed. But today I am reminded... there is always hope and just like Dallas fighting back to win the game in overtime, we too must not give up the fight!

Living Supernaturally!
Pastor Eugene

No comments:

Post a Comment